Types of Massage Therapy
There are many different types of massage, including these common types:
- Swedish massage. This is a gentle form of massage that uses long strokes, kneading, deep circular movements, vibration and tapping to help relax and energize you.
- Deep tissue massage. This massage technique uses slower, more-forceful strokes to target the deeper layers of muscle and connective tissue, commonly to help with muscle damage from injuries.
- Sports massage. This is similar to Swedish massage, but it’s geared toward people involved in sport activities to help prevent or treat injuries.
- Trigger point massage. This massage focuses on areas of tight muscle fibers that can form in your muscles after injuries or overuse.
- Prenatal massage is massage therapy that is especially tailored to an expectant mother’s needs. Prenatal massage is different from a regular massage because it demands that a new mother’s body has to be positioned as well as supported in the right way. For more information, visit Pregnancy and read more.